Art & Design (GCSE)

Art & Design (GCSE)

Name of Course
Art and Design


Outline of Course
A portfolio comprising of a sustained unit of work which addresses all 4 of the assessment objectives and a selection of other pieces of artwork. This will account for 60% of the course and an externally set task (exam) accounts for the remaining 40% of the marks.

Assessment is based on 4 key objectives which involve looking at the ideas of artists, recording ideas via drawing, painting and photography, designing/sampling/experimenting and generating a final outcome.

How it’s taught
Students will choose topics that they enjoy and will be guided through a range of practical workshops to develop new skills, techniques and understanding. A wide variety of material areas will be on offer to students such as drawing, painting, printing, wire work, ceramics, textiles and sculpture. Students will be expected to work independently on their chosen ideas. Students will hopefully experience time with a visiting artist or have the opportunity to visit a gallery or exhibition.

Topic Areas

  • Drawing
  • Painting
  • Sculpture
  • Ceramics
  • Wire & metal sculpture
  • Upcycled plastics
  • Lighting
  • Textiles
  • Card construction
  • Paper sculpture
  • Carving
  • Printmaking
  • Photography
  • Interiors

It will be essential for learners to continue artwork at home in order to generate enough work for their portfolio. Tasks will mostly include drawing, research and generating design ideas.